www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on URI Syntax
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:50:07 GMT

Tim Anderson wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Woops - see small correction in line.
>>
>>Stephen McConnell wrote:

>>>Because there is difference between aggregation of files of a
>>>partiular type as distinct from files that describe a particular typed
>>>file instance.  I view the "artifact" as the principal file held in a
>>>directory qualifed by a type (e.g. the jar file in a jars directory),
>>>and that other resources such as READMEs, LICENSEs, MD5s, etc. are
>>>examples of data that describe features of specific things such as a
>>>group, version, artifact, etc.
>>>
>>>Why make the distinction?  When I look at the available artifacts in a
>>>/jars/ directory I will present these as an list of artifacts.  A user
>>>may select to view the properties/features of one of these items.
>>>Using the name of an artifact - I can locate additional information
>>>about the artifact such as the MD5 signature, maybe the license or
>>>some dependency information - providing there is a convention that is
>>>predictable.  I.e. I need a mechanism to locate information about a
>>>particular artifact - e.g.
>>>

>>I left out the all important principal artifact.
>>
>>  <artifact-path>.<type>    <--------- the principal artifact (e.g.

>>jars/fred.jar)
>>  <artifact-path>.<something>  <------ some metadata
>>  <artifact-path>.<something-else> <-- more meta data
>>  <artifact-path>.MD5 <--------------- artifact signature
>>  <artifact-path>.README <------------ readme about the artifact
>>
>>The important thing is the recognition of the difference between a file
>>that *is* the artifact as distinct from a file that *describes*
>>an artifact.
>>
>>Stephen.
>>

>>>  <artifact-path>.<something>
>>>  <artifact-path>.<something-else>
>>>  <artifact-path>.MD5
>>>  <artifact-path>.README
>>>
>>>Etc.
>>>
>>>Stephen.
>>>

>File aggregation is important to tools, less so for end-users.
>The MD5 is just another artifact - its up to the tools
>to determine its association with other artifacts.

If the MD5 is just another artifact then it would belong under
something like:

   http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ant/md5s/some-artifact-name.md5

But that does not make sence (or types don't make sence).  The
fact is that there really is a differnce between <path> and
<path>.<meta> providing that there that is a recognition in the
base repository schema that these are two different things.

That recognition (as a part of the schema) is very important for
the attribution of information that would be used in the next
level up - i.e. that leyer on which meta data is accesses to
in order to manage an anttribute.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell