www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on URI Syntax
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:24:25 GMT

Woops - see small correction in line.

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Tim Anderson wrote:
>
>>> By implication - the README is not an artifact but a feature of a
>>> version.
>>> Is that a reasonable conclusion?
>>> Stephen.
>>>

>> Why make the distinction? I view everything a project deploys as an
>> artifact. Some artifacts will only be useful to end users (e.g,
>> README, LICENSE.txt etc), others will be useful to tools.
>>

> Because there is difference between aggregation of files of a
> partiular type as distinct from files that describe a particular typed
> file instance.  I view the "artifact" as the principal file held in a
> directory qualifed by a type (e.g. the jar file in a jars directory),
> and that other resources such as READMEs, LICENSEs, MD5s, etc. are
> examples of data that describe features of specific things such as a
> group, version, artifact, etc.
>
> Why make the distinction?  When I look at the available artifacts in a
> /jars/ directory I will present these as an list of artifacts.  A user
> may select to view the properties/features of one of these items.
> Using the name of an artifact - I can locate additional information
> about the artifact such as the MD5 signature, maybe the license or
> some dependency information - providing there is a convention that is
> predictable.  I.e. I need a mechanism to locate information about a
> particular artifact - e.g.

I left out the all important principal artifact.

  <artifact-path>.<type>    <--------- the principal artifact (e.g.
jars/fred.jar)
  <artifact-path>.<something>  <------ some metadata
  <artifact-path>.<something-else> <-- more meta data
  <artifact-path>.MD5 <--------------- artifact signature
  <artifact-path>.README <------------ readme about the artifact

The important thing is the recognition of the difference between a file
that *is* the artifact as distinct from a file that *describes* an artifact.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org