www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on URI Syntax
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:17:52 GMT

Tim Anderson wrote:

>>By implication - the README is not an artifact but a feature of a version.
>>Is that a reasonable conclusion?
>>Stephen.
>>

>Why make the distinction? I view everything a project deploys as an
>artifact. Some artifacts will only be useful to end users (e.g,
>README, LICENSE.txt etc), others will be useful to tools.

Because there is difference between aggregation of files of a partiular
type as distinct from files that describe a particular typed file
instance.  I view the "artifact" as the principal file held in a
directory qualifed by a type (e.g. the jar file in a jars directory),
and that other resources such as READMEs, LICENSEs, MD5s, etc. are
examples of data that describe features of specific things such as a
group, version, artifact, etc.

Why make the distinction?  When I look at the available artifacts in a
/jars/ directory I will present these as an list of artifacts.  A user
may select to view the properties/features of one of these items.  Using
the name of an artifact - I can locate additional information about the
artifact such as the MD5 signature, maybe the license or some dependency
information - providing there is a convention that is predictable.  I.e.
I need a mechanism to locate information about a particular artifact - e.g.

   <artifact-path>.<something>
   <artifact-path>.<something-else>
   <artifact-path>.MD5
   <artifact-path>.README