www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: URI/URL Syntax -- little nits to be aware of
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:05:33 GMT

Tim Anderson wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Tim Anderson wrote:
>>

>>>I take the view that everything in the repository is an artifact.
>>>Tools can exclude the artifacts they don't need - there can't be any
>>>language agnostic support for this, without adding metadata.
>>>

>>Tim:
>>
>>How do you address something like the following:
>>
>>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ant/jars/ant-1.5.jar
>>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ant/jars/ant-1.5.jar.md5
>>
>>I don't see the md5 file as an artifact - instead I consider it to be
>>meta data about the jar artifact.
>>

>The md5 file is an artifact. Its meta data for the jar, for those
>tools that understand it.

OK - this view of "artifact" seems to be equivalent to "file".

Here we have an example where a "file" type of .jar matches a <type>
seperator.  In the case of the MD5 "file" it does not.  This difference
is what destinguishes the MD5 from the jar.  As such - I think we can
say that the "file" matching the type context is the artifact and that
files that don;t match and are in the same directory represent meta data
about the artifact.

But this would require some adjustments on what is and isn't an artifact.

>-Tim
>
>PS - is anyone else having problems with this list? I never
>received my original response to this.

This is the only response to this message that I have seen.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org