www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Possible Incubation] Apache Repo
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:47:58 GMT

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> It is about safe downloading of dependencies from a virtual
> repository that extends across mirrored systems on a heterogeneous,
> multi-organizational network.  The underlying infrastructure is
> going to be file based because it will be replicated with rsync.
> I sure as hell don't want anything more complex than that at
> the base level.  Building interfaces on top of that is trivial
> and not in the least impacted in terms of efficiency -- there are
> no methods of storing large objects more efficient than a modern
> filesystem.  Start simple and layer on top of that.

Roy:

I am completely aware of all of the above. What I asked was the question
concerning scope relative to the ASF.  The assumtions within the
filesystem have a direct impact on the economics aspects and utility of
deployment. Are you (representing the board) focussing on immediate or
short term requirements?

  [ ] immediate
  [ ] short term

Which one it is ?