www-repository mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposals
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:18:48 GMT

Nick Chalko wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Anou Manavalan wrote:
>>
>>> With no responses supporting this idea, I guess I will put this idea
>>> to rest in peace ;-)
>>

>> Searching is certainly on the my agenda.  We need it for IDE related
>> development, repository management, and intelligent query based
>> artifact aquisition (and HTTP in this context is not an ideal solution).
>

> HTTP is fine for searches
> http://repo.apahce.org/search/?keyword=cool
>
> Or something.
> returns some XML format or another.

Sure - and I think HTTP protocol support is fundamental.  With the
Avalon stuff we are using HTTP today but we making sure that the
repository SPI enables selection of alternative repository protocols so
that we put a lot more intelligence into the backend/client
relationship. For example - things we want to be able to do is post a
query and get back a serialized deployment descriptor. For these sort of
applications one should look beyond HTTP.

> But first the simple URL then the search interfaces.

I need to think about this - I'm not disagreeing - but I'm not sure I'm
ready to agree just yet that the simple URL is the first step.

:-)

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell