www-repository mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ideas
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:28:19 GMT

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote on 07/11/2003 12:34:54 AM:
> 
>>Reading Dion's messages I gather that there is no particular will of 
>>Maven to participate ATM to an independent "Repo" project with active 
>>development as ATM Maven is satisfied of its current implementation. In 
> 
> Please don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry, it is not my intention. In fact the opposite is true. I'm just 
trying to explain what I think you are saying, and writing it down so 
you can tell me if it's right or not, like you are doing now.

> I am not 'Maven'. The will of Maven is the will of it's developers. I'm 
> just one. What they want to do is have a stable, functional product. 
> Developing a repository and access/management code for one seems a bit 
> redundant for most maven developers, as we already have one, as you say.

Then what I have written seems to be correct in essence, as for "Maven" 
I mean here "most maven developers".

I don't want to give a negative connotation to what I'm saying, but it 
seems it's not os easy :-/

Please believe me when I say that I understand and agree on your above 
explanation.

>>fact it works as advertised and as it's needed by Maven, so I really 
>>can't blame them, also because they have a release to make now. I'm 
>>talking about developers that have time to collaborate now here, as Dion 
>>has showed that Maven has already code that can be used in an 
>>independent project.
>>
>>Furthermore I appreciate a lot Dion's active participation on this list 
>>as it will surely bring to a single spec that all implementations can 
>>adhere to.
> 
> I personally doubt that :-)

I don't  :-P

>>As Ruper and Greebo developers seem very much interested and active ATM 
>>on code, and since I think it's good for Apache to have an independent 
>>Repo project with it's own community I am thinking if it's time to 
>>propose that the Incubator starts hosting an independent code effort.
> 
> I'd prefer we not even think about code until we have the repository and 
> it's format understood and agreed on. Bringing code and projects into the 
> mix now just confuses the issue.

It's a totally orthogonal thing. What I'm saying is that incubating such 
a project is not something that I want to do here on this list, as in 
fact it would really confuse things.

>>This would make it possible for Ruper and Greebo developers to 
>>participate together on the code right now, and have Maven developers 
>>participate on equal standing without constriction or time constraints, 
>>both in participation and adoption.
>>
>>What do you guys think?
> 
> If Ruper, Greebo and Maven developers want to work on code, go for it. 

Ok, very good.

> But, as a developer, I'd prefer we have our 'requirements' down before we 
> go about adopting codebases and developers.

Hmmm... it's not like we are totally unknowing of the goals, AFAIK we 
are working on details...

> Let's agree on what the repository is and what tools we need before we 
> start incubating.

I have no particular personal urge to start now or later, as in fact I'm 
not a developer of any of the above projects. But discussing without 
code is really wierd, and brings to issues being rehashed.

-- 
Nicola Ken Barozzi                   nicolaken@apache.org
             - verba volant, scripta manent -
    (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)
---------------------------------------------------------------------


Mime
View raw message