www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ideas
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:34:54 GMT

Markus M. May wrote:
> Hello,
> I just stumbled accross this project. Since I have been working with some
> other guys on another tool, which pretty much does the same stuff and this
> project died :-( I am pretty interested in this project. I have been working in
> the last couple of weeks on a major re-implementation of greebo

Ahhh, Greebo! :-)

I have heard of it on the Ant list, and I'm *really* happy that you are
interested in joining efforts.

> and I would
> like to give you an idea on what we where planning. Probably this would give
> you some ideas of what to implement:

Before we talk about implementation, we need to define the specs, and
this list (not a "real" project, more a collaboration space) is about
discussing the specifications for an Apache artifact repository.

As for implementations there are AFAIK:

  - Maven  (http://maven.apache.org/)
  - Ruper  (http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/)
  - Greebo (http://greebo.sf.net/)

Ruper has already proposed itself to Apache quite some time ago, and all
developers are now also Apache developers (on other projects) and on
this list. So Ruper is also interested in moving the efforts to Apache.

Reading Dion's messages I gather that there is no particular will of
Maven to participate ATM to an independent "Repo" project with active
development as ATM Maven is satisfied of its current implementation. In
fact it works as advertised and as it's needed by Maven, so I really
can't blame them, also because they have a release to make now. I'm
talking about developers that have time to collaborate now here, as Dion
has showed that Maven has already code that can be used in an
independent project.

Furthermore I appreciate a lot Dion's active participation on this list
as it will surely bring to a single spec that all implementations can
adhere to.

As Ruper and Greebo developers seem very much interested and active ATM
on code, and since I think it's good for Apache to have an independent
Repo project with it's own community I am thinking if it's time to
propose that the Incubator starts hosting an independent code effort.

This would make it possible for Ruper and Greebo developers to
participate together on the code right now, and have Maven developers
participate on equal standing without constriction or time constraints,
both in participation and adoption.

What do you guys think?

<snipped what="good ideas"
          discuss="by repo active developers, I just advocate"/>

> I would be more then happy to contribute this to this project.

Excellent :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -