www-repository mailing list archives

From <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: RE: Proposals
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:26:01 GMT
<snip/>

> Well, let's make sure that we get input from the httpd release folks before
> we re-design the layout of the library.  I just want to make sure that we
> have a consensus across projects that everyone can live with, not just Java
> projects, and which works for the full spectrum of projects.
>
> 	--- Noel

I totally second that.  The repository concept should support the entire gambit of artifacts
that can be generated.  It must be language and application neutral hence very extensible.
 There should be some caution when deciding upon a rigid repository structure that must have
the artifact type as a path component.  Something tells me this could lead to trouble.

On a side note:

Taging artifacts using attributes can help acheive this as well.  It's another potential tool
that could be very liberating to those designing the repository and its conventions.  I would
try to keep the file structure very generic while using artifact attributes and some queriable
engine to ask for the right kinds of artifacts.

Both webdav/deltaV and directories can play a role here.  As you know you can associate properties/attributes
with artifacts using webdav.  You can also acheive this by using a directory as the relational
engine with a webserver as the artifact/content store.  Nice thing is, you can wrap the JNDI
around it all too and switch URL schemes to do different things: use LDAP for relational queries
on attributes and use http/ftp for content retrieval.  The neat thing is we can use the protocol
that best suites the activity.

My $0.02

Alex