www-repository mailing list archives

From <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Merging repository discussions
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 02:41:56 GMT
Hi Jason,

> Just a note to any Maven developers who are interested in discussing the
> format of the future repository layout for Apache are welcome to join in
> at repository@apache.org. I think we have lots to offer in this area so
> if you have some pop into the discussions.

Very cool you have good timing.  Have you had a chance to look at some of the discussions
on the avalon-dev list regarding an API for building repository aware Avalon applications.

It would be nice to merge our discussions and these topics together as one community rather
than fragmenting it.  For starters here are links to some of those related threads:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=dev@avalon.apache.org&msgNo=22035

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=dev@avalon.apache.org&msgNo=22038

I separated it into two parts as two trails to track each peice separately.  I may have gotten
too creative here ;-).

Basically we're shooting for having a means to associate attributes with artifacts within
the repository and have a generic API for repository aware and/or repository bootstrapping
applications.

The ideas being discussed revolve around the notion of an attribute database to be used to
centrally manage project related artifact attributes.  This way the repository becomes a queriable
artifact directory as well as a artifact store.

Are these ideas appealing to the Maven community?

What can we do to consolidate our efforts?

Sincerely,
Alex Karasulu