www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Revival
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:08:56 GMT

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote on 23/10/2003 07:38:13 PM:
>>http://www.krysalis.org/version/
>>http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/ (draft site)
>>
>>As I see it, these two projects are in a more advanced state than the
>>Maven code, so I would propose that we build on these codebases and make
>>sure that all Maven needs are taken into account.
>
> My question is do they fit our needs?
>
> "Krysalis-Ruper2 is a resource updater, meaning it automatically keeps
> local resources up-to-date with versions of the resource found in
> repositories. "
>
> I didn't think we needed something to keep a repository automatically up
> to date, and that mirroring would take care of that.

It's just a naming thing. What Ruper does is to update the local
repository with the contents of the remote repository, which is exactly
what we need.

> and version ensures the jar and the runtime are available. Do we need that
> for a repository?

Version is mainly for Version resolving (that is if a version is > or <
than another one) and to check in the classpath and other places for
jars (not strictly necessary for Maven but very useful for other build
systems).

>>The proposal would be to Incubate Apache Repo: create two CVS
>>repositories open to all *Apache* comitters, commit the ruper and
>>version code there, and start working together on this list.
>
> I'd rather make sure the code is what we need first.

I agree.

Well, to be exact, what Maven needs, Maven already has. ;-)
This is about something more than that; as long as Maven needs are taken
into account, I would be fine in adding extra features.

I have asked the Ruper2 and Version developers to sign up here and chime
into this discussion as they are much more knowledgeable than me. I just
want to see this start, they are interested in working on it.

My objective: make sure that there is an apache-wide repository effort
maintained by active and dedicated committers, that can benefit both
Ant, Maven, and Gump. This is why I keep talking about Ruper, not
because I like the codebase, but because I know that the developers are
very interested and dedicated to this task, and would be an excellent
addition to this effort.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -