www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Revival
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:38:13 GMT

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Is anyone interested in reviving this project?

Yes :-)

Last time this list stopped at the last proposal of how to implement the
repository for Apache, and IIRC it was about placing jars in the current
dist space, that can thus be mirrored.

As for codebase, I have seen that Maven-new has separated the repository
download part in the fetcher IIUC.
In the meantime, at Krysalis we have been working on Ruper2, an Eclipse
plugin, and on a Version project for versioning.

http://www.krysalis.org/version/
http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/ (draft site)

As I see it, these two projects are in a more advanced state than the
Maven code, so I would propose that we build on these codebases and make
sure that all Maven needs are taken into account.

The proposal would be to Incubate Apache Repo: create two CVS
repositories open to all *Apache* comitters, commit the ruper and
version code there, and start working together on this list.

The result would be a codebase that can be used CLI, by Eclipse, by Ant,
and of course by Maven, and be collectively managed by all Apache coders.

Note that this would be a *tentative*, not something that *has* to
happen. I mean, we can move the ruper code here at Apache, we can also
get it working nicely together, but there is no guarantee whatsoever
that the project has to be adopted by *any* Apache project.

So there is no need to have a vote by any Apache community to make this
happen. No community disruptions. If we build correctly, they will come.
If not, at least we tried.

What do you think?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -