www-repository mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@apache.org>
Subject RE: What does the repository enable?
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2003 07:44:15 GMT
On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> one of the issues with the descriptor approach is bandwidth.

And also the complexity added for the simple cases.

It's a mistake to discuss descriptor versus URI - both should happen and
serve certain purpose.

Your argument is a good reason to not have one big XML for everything, but
one descriptor per component. And I think at least MANIFEST format should
be supported ( in addition to XML and HTML ) - i.e. a descriptor using
the same format as the manifest that's inside the jar, but as a separate
file. Many tools already support this descriptor.

>> This is why I'm in the XML descriptor camp, not the
>> encode-everything-in-the-URI camp.  For the most part I think that a

I think the camps are "very simple" and "complex". And we're all in both
camps, depending on the problem we're trying to solve.

Having only URI without descriptors is as bad as having only descriptors
and no predictible URIs.

Costin