www-repository mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What does the repository enable?
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2003 01:10:41 GMT
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Ted Leung wrote:

> 1. Be able to download the jars that a project needs in order to get built
> 2. Be able to download the jars that a project need in order to run

2+. Be able to support upgrades/updates ( including checking if any fix is
available )

> 3. Be able to generate the correct classpath so that a project can run

Not sure the repository can generate the classpath - the project should do
it. The repository shouldn't make it very difficult to manage the
classpath or impose too much pain on the projects.

> 4. Allow the repository to be transparently mirrored world wide.
> 5. Allow the repository to be composed of multiple pieces, much like a UNIX
> filesystem allows mount'ing of filesystems.

> Are there any others?   In the midst of the URI format and the XML
> descriptors, I'm having trouble seeing what we are
> trying to enable.

6. Provide a way to manage the dependencies - that's quite important.
The dependecy system should be compatible with the standard manifest
( i.e. if a dependecy is declared in a jar to a particular jar or spec,
we should be able to get it )

7. Eventually be able to support .jars that require click-through

Costin