www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: What does the repository enable?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 01:07:44 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I know I'm late to the party, but...
>
>I know that we're discussing URI format and Andy's writing code, and I have
>some code as well.  One thing
>that I haven't seen here is what functionality we want to enable by having a
>repository.    Here are some possible
>pieces:
>
>1. Be able to download the jars that a project needs in order to get built
>2. Be able to download the jars that a project need in order to run
>3. Be able to generate the correct classpath so that a project can run
>4. Allow the repository to be transparently mirrored world wide.
>5. Allow the repository to be composed of multiple pieces, much like a UNIX
>filesystem allows mount'ing of filesystems.
>
>Are there any others?   In the midst of the URI format and the XML
>descriptors, I'm having trouble seeing what we are
>trying to enable.
>
>Ted

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/Requirements

This is a top of my head list of requirements for the Apache Software
Repository

    * ASF Repository shall
          o only host artifacts approved by a PMC
          o be accessible to the public via http
          o be mirrorable.
          o allow browsing and downloding of artifacts by humans via
            normal web browser
    * ASF Repository should
          o provide metadata about a project,
                + its components
                + its dependencies
                + its artifacts
                + list of version available
                + url's to find specific versions of an artifact.
          o Provide tools for the management of the project metadata
          o Allow for low cost maintance by hand without tool support.
    * ASF Repository shall not
          o Host any artifact in violation of a license, or IPR.

Wiki away and add stuff.