www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: What should be in the MetaData
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 20:28:04 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Nick Chalko wrote:
>

>>I'll start the discussion with what John Toohey said.
>>
>>In both html and xml format
>>
>>    * list of available versions,
>>    * their MD5's,
>>    * dependencies,
>>    * perhpas a
>>    * code for licenses
>>

>Html format - I suppose you mean a easy-to-read page describing the
>package. Good idea.

Easy-to-read,  Yes

>XML - please don't invent yet-another DTD and please don't duplicate
>what is already there.
>
>Our jars should include proper manifests, and if not - we should just
>use the same format as the standard manifest. The manifest defines
>the MD5, dependencies, version.
>

>There is also the Gump descriptor that includes a lot of info - so
>if an XML format is to be used, I think a subset ( or superset ) of this
>should be used, we already have collected dependency info for all
>the projects.

Assuming that the manifest has enough info,  I think it is worth while
to make the information available outside the jar, so it can be
looked at with out downloading a whole jar.

Gump is also a very good starting point.

--
Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                          Centipede