www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: URI syntax
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 20:09:26 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:

>I don't think package name is a good idea - you may have multiple
>packages, it doesn't allways match the project name,etc.

snip

>IMHO we should try to keep things as simple as possible. The only
>important and critical decision is if we want version number in the jar
>or not.

Is a mandatory version dir and a optional version suffix on artifacts ok?

/project/version/artifact[-version].jar

>Most java projects ( including almost all Sun distributions ) don't
>include it, and if this is to change we'll have some work to do.
>
>Maven uses versioned jars, and it seems a number of people preffer this
>aproach.
>
>One way or another - this has to be decided ( and I see no other way to
>choose except for going with the majority ). If the decision
>is to use versioned jar names - then we should start checking the code
>and fix all the pieces where the jar names are used, modify the build
>files to generate Classpaths with versioned numbers and figure out how
>to deal with updates and bug fixes - since Classpaths in manifest or
>code that references a jar with version number will need to use the
>fixed jar.
>
>Any download tool will need:
>- the name of the repository ( which implies the style of mirroring and
>naming )
>- the name of the project/component - which can be used to compute the
>exact URI of the .jar and/or for the metadata.
>- an optional version if a specific release is needed.
>
>The only major problem is having the jar names in sync and working
>with the project code. How the name of the project is translated into
>a URI is not that important ( as long as it doesn't become too
>complex ).

Just trying to avoid collisions of project names, and help the URI have
a long shelf life.

I am ok with using a common name, such as ant, maven, log4j.

--
Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                          Centipede