www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: URI syntax
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:38:34 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>>Seems to be a reasonable compromise.
>>
>>For example
>>
>>http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant/1.5.1/ant-1.5.1.jar
>>http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant/1.5.1/ant-testutil-1.5.1.jar
>>http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant/1.5.1/LICENSE.txt
>>

>Why go straight to the jar file ? It may be more valuable to have
>

>>http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant
>>

>or
>

>>http://repo.apache.org/org/apache/ant
>>

>and what not yeild an *.xml (and for browsers a *.html) file with the
>metadata, list of available versions, their MD5's, dependencies, perhpas a
>code for licenses, etc..
>
>Dw.

I fully argre that   /project  should return a   xml descriptor with all
that information.
However I realy want the metadata file to be optional and have the URI
structure formal enough to guess,  users will anyways.
The advanced tool should use all that information but I also want to
support
<get href="http://repo.apache.org/org-apache-ant/LATEST/ant.jar" />

Lets start a sperate thread on what should be in the metadata.

--
Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                          Centipede