www-repository mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: URI syntax
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:20:11 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>The consensus seems to be forming around a basic URI of
>>  /project/version/artifact
>>such as
>> http://repo.apache.org/org.apache.ant/1.5/ant.jar
>>

>I'm not sure, yet, that there is a consensus forming.  For example, Peter
>Kazmier replied to Craig McClanahan's message about commons-foo-x.y.jar, and
>suggested:
>

>>To grab the latest released version:
>>    commons-foo-RELEASE.jar
>>To grab the latest nightly build:
>>    commons-foo-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>And of course, to grab a specific version:
>>    commons-foo-x.y.jar
>>

>Unless you view "-" and "/" purely as separators without the directory
>hierarchy connotations.
>
>And my descriptor-based proposal doesn't specify or mandate the artifact's
>URI, only the URI for the project descriptor.  The latter would provide
>provide URIs for its constituent artifact(s), amongst other things.
>
>	--- Noel

Overspoke
The consensus seems to be forming for single level projects.

Still discussing
/project/version/artifact  vs /project/artifiact-version

I think we should do both a discriptor and a "Standard" artifiact URL ,
so that people can be lazy and have a repository without a descriptor.
And tools can crawl a repository and build a descriptor from it.

--
Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
                          Centipede