www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran (fwd)
Date Wed, 31 May 2017 06:28:17 GMT
Hi Ahamed Bauani,

   thanks for your contribution, but I don't think this mailing-list
   is the right platform to discuss this further.

   Thanks all ; regards,

   Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof HFG-406   _/ \_
Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL        F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 00:00:57 +0200
From: Ahamed Bauani <bauani@gmail.com>
To: mirrors@apache.org
Cc: Mirror Hostiran <Mirror@hostiran.com>, penning@uu.nl, danielsh@apache.org
Subject: Re: Is possible to lunched Appache mirror in iran

Hello Everyone;
Good Morning ( As per my local timezone) .

Discussion regarding possibility of having an official Apache mirror hosted on
physically on Iran or a mirror administrate by person living/citizen of Iran is
really interesting.

I want to appreciate reply from both Mr. Henk Penning and  Daniel Shahaf for
their concern about allowing mirror listed on official list when it related to
controversial country like Iran. I also think ASF (apache.org) is big enough
organization to not have any gray area just because of USA-government "may"
consider having Iran in official network of distributing public software. If
anyone become interested to host mirror on country like Iran ASF board should
really have clear decision about allowing them or to reject them as
per jurisdiction's laws where foundation was incorporated. Don't forget about
the pressure from local government for the organization or person taking
initiative to host a mirror of US based organization.

I am also not a lawyer or expertise on US law in general. But if visitor from
Iran can access and download data from ASF official site individually, allowing
someone from same network/country for having a mirror ( a local copy of
repository in reality) shouldn't annoyed govt. Also as it is easy for ASF board
to remove listing at any time in case of possible difficulty, we expect some
positive responce on this issue. Please have some 2nd thought on this.

For the person asked about possibility of having apache mirror on Iran ( Mirror
Hostiran <Mirror@hostiran.com>):

I really encourage you to go ahead with your plan for hosting Iranian mirror of
Apache repository even ASF don't listed your mirror as 'official one'. As per my
personal believe first target for any mirror maintainer to give local community
high speed access of mirrored content, second comes the goodwill & other issue.
I really don't know current status of your network for having access of ASF
official site without any problem. If your network user can visit official site
of ASF as like all around world, I will sagest you to prepare the mirror with
official tech and other guideline of ASF and keep serving your local/nearest
visitor like any other normal mirror on official list. ASF might not give you
official status for really complex scenario of political issue, community living
near you, at least inside your country will have real benefit from your effort.
As your effort is not extraordinary then other visitor of ASF official site, you
are not committing any crime with your mirror for sure. After that time will say
if your mirror can get some place on official mirror list. Even ASF incorporated
and operate under US law, we the big community of Apache foundation are spread
around every corner of our world. Who knows if any big amount of community
member start asking to give your mirror official status in near future.

Thank you everyone for your effort. It is reality that we live on a world where
strange law, rules, culture divide us. But it is also true, we the community
supporting free software movement is trying to give equal rights for every human
who want freedom.

Let's see where it goes; but first a mirror should pop-up from country in
question to have further development.

Have a nice day!

Regards & Best Wishes

Noor Ahamed Bauani

HP: +880-1818-BAUANI (Text Preferred)
[ Sent from Mobile Device; Kindly Excuse Tyops.]