www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: OpenOffice 4.0 On Mirrors
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2013 08:11:07 GMT
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Rob Weir wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:11:32 +0200
> From: Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>
> To: Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net>
> Cc: mirrors@apache.org, "jsc@apache.org" <jsc@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: OpenOffice 4.0 On Mirrors

> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 08:20 +0200, Henk P. Penning wrote:
>
>    See http://www.openoffice.org/download/ ;
>
>    OpenOffice 4.0.0 binaries are made available by sourceforge.net ;
>    the source is on apache mirrors (well before the announcement).
>
>    For previous releases (3.4.0, 3.4.1), the main download page
>    of Apache OpenOffice also pointed to sourceforge.net for the
>    binaries ; since traffic from mirrors was virtually zero, it
>    is pointless to have the binaries on the apache.org mirrors.

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net> wrote:

   [ about the desirability of AOO binaries on mirrors ]

>       I would respectively disagree, I have always downloaded binaries
>       from "FTP" mirrors, until it was moved to ASF
>
>       I find it inconvenient, and an annoyance to have to go to a
>       website to download a binary, when I could get it from my local
>       FTP.

>       I'll make an official request for binaries to be  re-installed
>       on mirrors, and not with a delay for next release either please
>       :)

> If I recall correctly there was a note that went out to this list back in
> May 2012 (or around then) asking about preferences for mirroring Apache
> OpenOffice.  Our binaries take up quite a bit of space.  Each release is
> 150MB per binary * 20+ languages * 4 platforms.   (And we're adding more
> languages with each release.)  The response was that this would be a
> challenge for many mirrors so we decided not to send out the binaries to all
> of them.  Instead we distribute source and SDK packages via the Apache
> mirrors and binaries via SourceForge.
>
> But I also recall that there was some mechanism set up for those who wanted
> to mirror OpenOffice, even if that was just a subset of the mirror
> operators.

   ... close, but it was the other way around ; there is an opt-out ;
   sites may mirror 'apache-dist-most' which is 'apache.org without AOO'.

     full mirrors    : http://www.us.apache.org/mirrors/dist.html
     partial mirrors : http://www.us.apache.org/mirrors/dist-most.html

   AOO 3.4.1 binaries are on the full mirrors, and so were 3.3 and 3.4.0,
   but you have to look hard to find them.

   For AOO 4.0.0 is was decided (between infra and the release manager,
   I think) to put the binaries on sourceforge and the sources on the
   mirrors ; checksums, signatures etc are on the apache.org servers.
   Apache OpenOffice and Apache Infra may change that decision, of course.

> -Rob

   Regards,

   Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof BBL-761   _/ \_
Princetonplein 5, 3584CC Utrecht, NL      F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/