www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice 4.0 On Mirrors
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:11:32 GMT
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net> wrote:

> **
> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 08:20 +0200, Henk P. Penning wrote:
>
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Alex Marz wrote:
>
> > From: Alex Marz
> > To: mirrors@apache <mirrors@apache.org>
> > Subject: OpenOffice 4.0 On Mirrors
> >
> > Noticed it does not appear to be available to mirrors yet? I would have
> > assumed it would have been pushed prior to its release if Apache had
> > intended to use it's mirror infrastructure.
>
> Hi,
>
>    See http://www.openoffice.org/download/ ;
>
>    OpenOffice 4.0.0 binaries are made available by sourceforge.net ;
>    the source is on apache mirrors (well before the announcement).
>
>    For previous releases (3.4.0, 3.4.1), the main download page
>    of Apache OpenOffice also pointed to sourceforge.net for the
>    binaries ; since traffic from mirrors was virtually zero, it
>    is pointless to have the binaries on the apache.org mirrors.
>

> I would respectively disagree, I have always downloaded binaries from
> "FTP" mirrors, until it was moved to ASF
>
> I find it inconvenient, and an annoyance to have to go to a website to
> download a binary, when I could get it from my local FTP.
>
> A lot of unofficial mirrors out there on ISP networks that mirror software
> for their local users, given most ISP's permit data from local mirrors as
> quota-free, this is important when downloading over mobile networks which
> at least in this country, charge an arm a leg and three quarters of your
> torso, just for a mere couple of GB of 3G or 4G data, if you have a few
> students in a share house one using say opensuse, another debian, another
> mac, and another windows, there's 1/3 of their quota gone in one hit.
>
> The idea of mirrors is for local convenience, else, what is the point, SFA
> ever bother with the source because it takes forever to build anyway, if
> you want to host a mirror, official or not, you know the risks of disk
> space, or, is this all, as it seems, more about getting web-page counter
> hits, rather than user convenience and availability, is it a case of "we
> can't count remote downloads so we wont do it", seems like it, two of the
> most popular ftp mirrors in this country have removed openoffice because of
> this, yet, they carry  libreoffice so you know who gets the maximum
> exposure - not openoffice (which I've been using since it was star office
> some donkies decades ago)
>
> I'll make an official request for binaries to be  re-installed on mirrors,
> and not with a delay for next release either please [image: :)]

If I recall correctly there was a note that went out to this list back in
May 2012 (or around then) asking about preferences for mirroring Apache
OpenOffice.  Our binaries take up quite a bit of space.  Each release is
150MB per binary * 20+ languages * 4 platforms.   (And we're adding more
languages with each release.)  The response was that this would be a
challenge for many mirrors so we decided not to send out the binaries to
all of them.  Instead we distribute source and SDK packages via the Apache
mirrors and binaries via SourceForge.

But I also recall that there was some mechanism set up for those who wanted
to mirror OpenOffice, even if that was just a subset of the mirror
operators.

I'm cc'ing our Release Manager, Juergen, who might recall this better than
I.

Regards,

-Rob