www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice distribution
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:28:06 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013, Mitry Matyushkov wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:05:16 +0100
> From: Mitry Matyushkov <ftp@mgts.by>
> To: mirrors@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Apache OpenOffice distribution
>
> Hi,
>
> On 1/23/2013 6:17 PM, sebb wrote:
>>  On 23 January 2013 15:02, Mitry Matyushkov <ftp@mgts.by> wrote:
>> >  Hello,
>> >
>> >  As far as I see now and did some time ago OpenOffice files are served
>> >  via
>> >  SourceForge mirrors. So does it still make sense to distribute them over
>> >  other mirrors under rsync.apache.org::apache-dist?
>>
>>  Please see:
>>
>>  http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html#Techniques
>>
>>  If you wish to exclude resource-intensive projects, replace
>> : : apache-dist by ::apache-dist-most.
>>  (At the time of writing, the ::apache-dist module was 68GB and the
>> : : apache-dist-most module a 35GB subset of it.)
>>  Do not use --exclude for this purpose.
>
> The question was a bit different: why to distribute some stuff over the
> mirror network that is not downloaded by anyone by default?

Hi Mitry,

   I agree ; and you raise a valid point. The openoffice stuff
   was put on the mirrors because :

   1. ... that is what apache.org always does ;
   2. ... help from SourceForge was a 'first'.

   We had no idea how many 'source code' downloads there would be.
   I have looked at the number of downloads on my (cs.uu.nl) mirror,
   and, ignoring crawlers like googlebot, my estimate is : between
   1 download per day to 1 per week ; so, almost nothing.

   I think it can be argued that the next release of OpenOffice will
   not go onto the mirrors, but straight into the apache archive.
   OpenOffice will point
   -- to SourceForge for binary downloads
   -- to the apache archive for source downloads.

   Note that this is just my opinion ; the Apache OpenOffice committee
   and the apache.org infrastructure team may come to a different
   conclusion.

> Mitry.

   Regards,

   Henk Penning -- apache.org infrastructure

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof WISK-412  _/ \_
Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL        F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/