www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Heiko Richter <lists-apa...@heikorichter.name>
Subject Re: /incubator/syncope/ Permission denied
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:11:37 GMT
Am 2012-07-27 09:41, schrieb Henk P. Penning:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Sascha E. Pollok wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:29:00 +0200
>> From: Sascha E. Pollok <mirror-apache@iphh.net>
>> To: mirrors@apache.org
>> Subject: Re: /incubator/syncope/ Permission denied
>
>> Hello Henk, et al,
>
>> Might have discussed before but isn't there a way to automate fixing
>> rights for the files that are supposed to be read by the mirror
>> operators?
>> Its a lot of work for you and a bit annoying for the ones received
>> Cron-emails.

Of cource there is, but it would just be a quick and dirty bugfix not
getting rid of the original problem. And it would put very heavy loads
on cpu and filesystem on the archive-master. There are many ways to do
that, one of them would be running this little script regularely in
cron:
  chown [apache-user]:[apache-group] [/path/to/apache/root/] -R
  find [/path/to/apache/root/] -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
  find [/path/to/apache/root/] -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

But as I stated before running that script through cron in regular
intervals would put cpu and fs under quite a lot of stress, depending on
the underlying hardware and the average load the server has now so it
could only be a short term solution to automate fixing wrong modes
and/or ownerships.

The only way to get rid of the problem is sort through all update
scripts putting files onto the archive master and find the one running
with the incorrect umask. And that can of course take a long time, that
we should all give to the people doing that.

>   I agree that this is very annoying ; and a bit embarrassing.
>   The apache setup is quite complicated ; people are
>   working on it but sofar haven't tracked down the bug.

Perhaps you should consider the script above or something similar as a
shortterm fix until you found the bug. Piping it through nice with a
very high nicity level like 15 or above should ensure that other
processes are not hindered by it. Of couse just until the bug is found
and the annoying cron-mails stop happening...