www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Neil Bright <neil.bri...@oit.gatech.edu>
Subject Re: openoffice at apache.org
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:18:57 GMT
Neither disk nor network should be a problem for gtlib.gatech.edu as we are already mirroring
OO.

On Mar 19, 2012, at 6:34 PM, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> Hi Apache Mirrors,
>
>  In june 2011 "openoffice" was established as an ASF Project.
>  Since then, many parts of openoffice.org have moved to the
>  apache.org (ASF) infrastructure. It is now time to think
>  about releasing "Apache OpenOffice".
>
>  One of the options for distributing Apache OpenOffice is to
>  put it on the apache mirrors, like all other Apache projects.
>
>  Impact on mirrors :
>
>  -- Space : disk space would go from (currently 40GB) to 80-100 GB.
>  -- Bandwidth : will go up a lot ; maybe 100-500 times more.
>
>  We realise that this can be a problem for some mirrors.
>
>  -- We think that disk-space isn't a big problem,
>     but tell us if it is.
>
>  -- We think that bandwidth can be a problem
>       ... except when you already have an openoffice.org mirror,
>       or  when you already mirror lots of other (big) projects.
>
>  If releasing "Apache OpenOffice" on Apache mirrors is a problem
>  for you, please let us know.
>
>  -- Remember that nothing is decided yet ; at the moment, we are
>     investigating possibilities.
>
>  Thanks, regards,
>
>  Henk Penning -- apache.org infrastructure

> Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta              R Uithof WISK-412  _/ \_
> Faculty of Science, Utrecht University T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
> Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL     F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
> http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/          M penning@uu.nl     \_/

Neil Bright (neil.bright@oit.gatech.edu)                  (404) 385-6954
OIT - Academic and Research Technologies/Georgia Institute of Technology
258 Fourth Street, Rich Bldg, Rm 321 / Atlanta, GA  30332-0700