www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: openoffice at apache.org
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:52:38 GMT
Ah last year Oracle transferred its assets
in openoffice.org to Apache, which as a project

entered the Incubator and is progressing toward
graduation.  Apache has been hosting the entire
openoffice.org domain for several months now-

cutting an Apache release is thenext logical

step in the progression.  WhileLibreOffice is a
well-known fork in the linuxworld, it has made
little inroads in gettingother platform's users
to adopt it.  That iswhy we expect this Apache
release to generate traffic similar in magnitude
to the original openoffice.org releases, as again
we own that domain and have picked up most of the
userbase as a result.

That is all I plan to say on this topic as
the rationale behind this situation has been
beaten to death elsewhere and is not topical
for the mirrors@ list.  Here we are trying to
determine whether our not there are technical
limitations that might prevent us from offering
Apache OpenOffice releases through our normal
mirroring system.

>________________________________

    spin of Open Office dot Org office suite.  It's already been forked
    to Libre Office, which has been adopted by Red Hat and Canonical as
    their defacto office suites, and it's gaining ground.

>I'm not sure what happened, but somebody at Oracle pissed off the
    rest of the Linux / Open Source community, and now there's a pissing
    match going on... just trying to understand if Apache's distribution
    will be yet another fork / spin, or if it's a direct mirror of Open
    Office dot Org.

>... which, if it is a direct mirror, then why even bother?  They
    already have their own mirror structure?

>---------------------------------
The SC Postmaster
---------------------------------
"All your base are belong to us."
--------------------------------- postmaster@spinellicreations.com admin@spinellicreations.com
---------------------------------
>On 03/20/2012 12:11 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>That is likely if our mirrors can carry the
>>traffic ourselves. Keep in mind the timeframe
>>for the next OpenOffice release is perhaps
>>within the next 1-3 months depending on
>>resolution of remaining release-blocking issues.
>>

>>>________________________________

                  mirror (http://mirrors.ucr.ac.cr/openoffice.org/),
                  will this be removed and completely migrated to
                  Apache's branch or will it need to be kept somehow?

>>>Regards,
>>>Manuel Delgado
>>>
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>>Usuario Linux #520940