www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: permission problems ? here's how to fix your set-up
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:57:14 GMT
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Carsten Otto wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:00:30 +0200
> From: Carsten Otto <otto@informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
> To: mirrors@apache.org
> Cc: Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au>, FTP <ftp@halifax.rwth-aachen.de>
> Subject: Re: permission problems ? here's how to fix your set-up

Hi Otto,

> rsync is perfectly able to mirror permission bits.

   Sure.

>                                                    Instead of changing
> the (well-established) setup on the individual mirrors, please first
> take care that the official apache mirrors use the intended settings -
> we then just copy this and everything is fine.

   ... not if your cronjob runs with 'umask 077', as it often does.

   I agree that the 'old' settings were not wrong in some cases.
   The point of the change is to prevent permission problems from
   occurring (as they now often do) by a more strict prescription of
   a setup that we think will always work, or at least more often.

> PS: What was the change in rsync options?

     -rtlzv --delete -> -avz --delete --safe-symlinks

   Note: no 'p' in the 'old' ; in 'new', 'p' is implied by '-a'.
   Anyway, '-a' is what you want for mirrors, so why use some-
   thing else ?

> Carsten Otto           otto@informatik.rwth-aachen.de

   Groeten,

   HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta              R Uithof WISK-412  _/ \_
Faculty of Science, Utrecht University T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Budapestlaan 6, 3584CD Utrecht, NL     F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/