www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Carsten Otto <o...@informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject Re: permission problems ? here's how to fix your set-up
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:05:18 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:57:14AM +0200, Henk P. Penning wrote:
> >                                                   Instead of changing
> >the (well-established) setup on the individual mirrors, please first
> >take care that the official apache mirrors use the intended settings -
> >we then just copy this and everything is fine.
>
>   ... not if your cronjob runs with 'umask 077', as it often does.

... and not if the file system does not support long file names
... and not if the storage backend garbles information
... and not if the webserver serving the data back does strange things

There are many reasons for errors. In our case everything _is_ fine, but
you demand that - nevertheless - we change our behaviour. If you want
certain permissions, set them on your own server. If you see a mirror
that does not offer the permissions you want them to offer (which is
defined by the master mirror, not your mail!), tell them (e.g. by
dropping wrong umask settings or by repairing the file system/storage
backend/webserver/...).

In summary: Please only tell us to change something if there is any indication
that we did something wrong. We will continue to serve the permission
bits we get from the official apache mirror.

>     -rtlzv --delete -> -avz --delete --safe-symlinks

You mean --safe-links? We added that now. Of course, you could also take
care that the master mirror does not provide unsafe links.

>   Note: no 'p' in the 'old' ; in 'new', 'p' is implied by '-a'.
>   Anyway, '-a' is what you want for mirrors, so why use some-
>   thing else ?

This implies -p is added, but also -goD (group, owner, device files).

We also have have -H (hard links), -S (sparse files) and -p (see the
discussion above), but not -goD and want to keep that.

Bye,
--
Carsten Otto           otto@informatik.rwth-aachen.de
LuFG Informatik 2      http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/