www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: Unusual Traffic
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 09:12:35 GMT
On Tue, 12 May 2009, Silio d' Angelo wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 06:19:52 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Silio d' Angelo <dangelo@gno.uniroma2.it>
> To: mirrors@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Unusual Traffic
>
> I'm experiencing the same problem since few months; it looks like a DOS
> attack. From one IP they are issued many requests for the same file
> and all terminate with a status code of 206. The total amount of
> transerred bytes for that file and that IP is usually from 10 to 50
> times the total size of the requested file. Another common

Hi,

   this is what 'download accelerators' do : set up a lot of connections,
   each getting a different chunk of the same big file ; exit code 206 ;
   they are often badly written.

   I was told that (in 206 cases) the apache server doesn't correctly report
   the actual number of bytes transfered ; and that it over-estimates ;
   that is, the number of bytes reported can far exceed the actual
   number of bytes transfered.

   This can lead to enormous errors in the download figures,
   esp for big files like iso's.

   ... couldn't find a ref ; sorry.

   Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 253 2804 \_/ \_/
http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/                 M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/