www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Harri Salminen <...@nic.funet.fi>
Subject Re: Unusual Traffic
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 12:37:22 GMT
Silio d' Angelo wrote:
> may be download accelerators have this attitude but to download
> something like 86,000,000 bytes about 12,000 times, it seems to me a
> little excessive. And also, why all that is usually originated from
> an IP non resolving the reverse address and most of the times from
> some Chinese network ? This slows down the response of the server,
> floods the log files and also sinks almost all the "ipport_userreserved".
>
> Have you any suggestion on how to minimize their effects ?

I've noticed the same problem in www.nic.funet.fi, since some
connections from same IP tried to download the same .iso file even over
100 times over a slow connection from far away places and I had
sometimes run out of threads (2048).  To limit the effect of such bad
downloaders I've used mod_limitipconn module with max 10 tcp connections
per IP.

http://www.dominia.org/djao/limitipconn2.html

There seems to be sometimes the side effect that connections are not
always closed fast enough when a low latency user uses wget -R, yum
update or similar to download small files and they get hit too but I
haven't found a better solution. Maybe there could be limit just for
requests with range? At least the server stays responsive now. I'd
assume a real DOS attack would come from hunreds or thousands of
different IPs instead of 100s from the same IP so they are probably
those "accelerators".  They also seem to make the WWW statistics and
server status meaningless.

e.g. now I'm supposedly serving 24Gbit/s over a 1Gbit/s link...

37.9 requests/sec - 4.0 GB/second - 181.9 MB/request
644 requests currently being processed, 76 idle workers

I wonder how easy it would be to fix the apache to log the actually
transferred bytes, I haven't had time to look at the code.

Harri