www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: new mirror?
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:42:07 GMT
hostmaster@publicshout.org wrote:
> hello from Italy
>
> today I got IP address 2.244.115.65 fetching the whole apache
> archive with a download manager.
> This makes me think it's a new mirror or want-mirror, but the
> IP reverse does not resolve nor is the address trackable with geoip.
>
> If you 2.244.115.65 are a mirror, please mind that the correct source
> to fetch data is rsync(.eu).apache.org . Syncing from another mirror
> is trivial.

Just as a general note, the main Apache site gets hit virtually every
day with crazy clients that download the entire site over http or
download the same file thousands of times.  I'm fairly sure that 99% of
cases are simply very broken software with very stupid users.  They do
not generally look like mirror attempts or deliberate DoS attacks.

There isn't much  that can be done about it.  Apache httpd is relatively
week in the area of real-time client throttling.  Sometimes firewall
tuning can help, but in general it is something you're going to have to
live with if you put a large chunk of stuff on the web.

Joshua.