www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Question about using rsync often (seeking recommendation)
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:17:31 GMT

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Currently I am using rsync every 24 hours but I would
> like to synchronize more frequently. Every hour seems
> reasonable and is mentioned in the mirrors archives.
> Any recommendations?

Every hour seems excessive.  I think every six hours would be the minimum
I would see as reasonable.  Also, make sure you are syncing only with
apache-dist, since other rsync repositories change much more frequently,
and will therfore cause excessive bandwidth utilization.

> IDEA : I think it would be useful if we synchronize
> all the web statistics from all the mirrors.
> Additionally if the statistics were generated by
> geographic location apache would know which packages
> are in demand and where.

We have been considering collecting some mirror statistics.  But getting
them from all mirrors would probably be too difficult.  Rather, we may
just get a sampling and do some extrapolation to estimate total usage.

Joshua.