www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: apache.roweboat.net
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:39:31 GMT

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, HOSTMASTER wrote:

> Im not thinking that apache cares about how fast your connection is. It is
> the idea of helping anyway u can by providing a mirror. You the user have a
> choice of canceling the download if you feel it is to slow. In regardes to
> the popup. it is one pop up that comes up one time. It has not alterned the
> mirror at all.Everything u find at http://www.apache.org/dist  is the SAME
> as http://apache.roweboat.net . What it sounds like to me is u are trying to
> pick a fight and im not going to give in to you so back off .
>
> You dont like the mirrror then dont go to it.

We appreciate everyone's contribution.

But the issue is that we are trying to provide the most reliable possible
downloads to our users.  If we select your mirror as the "preferred"
mirror for a particular download session, and then your mirror does not
perform well, it creates a problem.  At the moment, we treat all mirrors
(within a particular country) equally, so we assume that they all have
substantial bandwidth available.  That is why we ask only for
"well connected"  mirrors on
http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

Perhaps we need to be more specific and ask for a minimum 10Mbit pipe for
US mirrors.  (Other countries could probably get by with substantially
less.)  Any opinions on that?

As far as the pop-up issue goes, I don't think you are violating any
particular policy.  But since it has a substantial negative effect on the
user experience, I don't think it is something we are going to permit.
(It could also be interpreted as a deceptive attempt to piggy-back on the
reputation of apache, but I'm sure you didn't intend it that way.)  Thanks
for removing it.

Joshua.