www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: New mirror
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:15:37 GMT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Erik Abele wrote:

> Hmm, recommended practices for an FTP mirror?  It is currently
> protected with a password, so, well, it's pretty useless so far ;-)

I got that too.  Although I was able to get through once.

In general, I'm not too hip on ftp mirrors.  They tend to have low
connection limits and be much slower than http mirrors to respond.  And
they also can't do the fancy autoindex stuff that we use on our http
mirrors.  So I don't encourage them, and we never select them as
"preferred" mirrors, but if they work I add them to the list.

Joshua.