www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: new nl mirror (easynet)
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:08:54 GMT

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 diederik@nl.easynet.net wrote:
> will remove the additional mirrors then if they're not really being used.
> which one is preferred for the mirrors, apache-site or apache-dist?

apache-dist is the right one.  apache-site is a superset of apache-dist,
but the extra stuff is not necessary.

> > > frequency: *high*
> > >  small sites 4x / hour, bigger ones 1x/hour
> >
> > That sounds a little more agressive than is really needed.  Is there a
> > reason you are updating more than once a day?
>
> since we're mirroring some mirrors that ask for very frequent updates,
> i've just included the smaller sites so we're up-to-date with the
> master-mirrors of thofse sites, and thus other mirrors are possibly
> interested in synching with our server instead of the real master, so
> the real master(s) can relax a bit.

I don't have any problem with a few times per day, but 4x per hour seems
excessive for our needs, and a possible drain on resources.  (It is not as
big a deal if you change to mirroring only apache-dist, since that is
relatively stable.  The other sites tend to have very large, frequently
updated files -- mbox mail archives -- so you would use a huge amount of
bandwidth if you update that frequently.)

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, could you please resend
your information with the one site that you are mirroring.

Thanks!

Joshua.