www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Apache.org mirrors: how-to-mirror update
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:42:33 GMT

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Yusmar Yahaya wrote:
> i think it probably relates back to apache.org's "how to mirror apache"
> guide page, where it states that you have to pull the repository between
> 8am GMT till noon GMT.
>
> from the error messages i've got lately, it was during that time frame.
> perhaps if each region were given a time period to rsync, then you can
> roughly predict the traffic size. e.g. each region should rsync between
> 8am-noon at their own timezone, not 8am-noon GMT.

No, but perhaps I haven't been clear about the problem.  This isn't a
question of www.apache.org being over capacity.  This is a question of a
single client coming in and making multiple rsync connections until it
fills up all sockets.  I have no idea why the clients are doing this, but
it probably is some very badly programmed script.  The weird thing is that
is happening over and over again from multiple clients all over the world.

Joshua.