www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Apache.org mirrors: how-to-mirror update
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:23:07 GMT

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, jason andrade wrote:
> get all the people using rsync to update to the latest version, e.g rsync
> 2.5.5 and make sure that is also running on the server.

We can check the server, but we really have no control over the clients.
We consider the rsync repository to be a public resource, so it is
difficult to control client access.

> also consider lowering the timeout, perhaps to 600

I'll pass that suggestion on to the admin.

> lastly, please consider making two different sharesets available - one
> for "general" mirrors and the other for 'tier1' mirrors who can also
> onfeed to others in their region.
>
> lastly, there are a huge number of apache mirrors - much more than
> most other projects that i know of so the default limit might be
> quite low if all of these are syncing from a single site (the apache
> master site)

I don't think increasing the limit will do any good.  When a screwed up
client comes along, it will eat up any number of available connections.
Increasing the connections would just increase the damage that the bad
client does to the server.

Having other rsync locations is certainly possible.  The only reason I
haven't personally pushed this is that it increases the complexity of the
mirroring system, and I like simple things.  It would also mean denying
general rsync access to www.apache.org.  But this may be the way to go.

Thanks for your ideas.

Joshua.