www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: dist/DATE
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:00:58 GMT

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Henk P. Penning wrote:
> > Yes, but what about the code used to generate it?
> > Are you willing to contribute that?
>
>   Not just yet; I only began yesterday.

OK.  Just for your information, the "apache way" usually involves sharing
code early and often.  But since it is your code, you can do whatever you
want with it.

>   However, I guarantee that these two refs
>
>     http://www.cs.uu.nl/stats/apache/mstat.txt
>     http://www.cs.uu.nl/stats/apache/mstat.html
>
>   will be maintained indefinitely, given that
>   the mirrors/mirrors.list and countries.list
>   files will be available.
>
>   Isn't the mstat.txt file all you need ?

mstat.html is fine for use by the mirror maintainers to deal with
poorly-performing mirrors.  And I have no problem with you continuing to
host it for that purpose.  But if we are going to integrate something
directly in our cgi script that selects mirrors, I think it would need to
be hosted on www.apache.org.  Putting an external dependency in there
would be too dangerous.  If you choose not to share your code, then we
will probably need to hack something up ourselves.

In any case, thanks for your work on this.

Joshua.