www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Improved mirror selection (cvs commit: site/docs/dyn/mirrors GeoIP.so mirrors.cgi)
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 01:46:01 GMT
I've made what I hope are a couple significant improvements in the mirror
selection script.  I hope this will result in more traffic getting
directed to the best possible mirror.

Please let me know if you see any problems.

Joshua.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 14 Jan 2003 01:39:03 -0000
From: slive@apache.org
To: site-cvs@apache.org
Subject: cvs commit: site/docs/dyn/mirrors GeoIP.so mirrors.cgi

slive       2003/01/13 17:39:03

  Modified:    docs/dyn/mirrors mirrors.cgi
  Added:       docs/dyn/mirrors GeoIP.so
  Log:
  A couple significant changes to the dynamic mirror selection script:

  1. Use GeoIP to select the nearest mirror rather than relying
  on DNS country code.  We should get much better matches this
  way.

  2. Do a pre-scan of the mirror database to see if the selected
  country has any mirrors.  If it doesn't, fall back to the US.