www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject RE: Heads up...
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:14:40 GMT
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Henk P. Penning wrote:

>   In the past, some 'permission problems' could only be solved
>   by adding more '--exclude' options. Other problems for mirrors,
>   have gone unsolved for years. The current mirror site looks
>   abysmally bad: just a directory listing with a header comment.
>
>   An apache mirror is only usable by an expert: if you know what you
>   need, you can get it there; if you don't, you're lost.
>   Compare the www.apache.org with a mirror; see the difference ?

>   If apache 'central' would just be responsible for only one mirror,
>   things would undoubtedly improve. The problem is, and has been,
>   and will be, that no one is responsible and/or in a position to
>   improve things.
>
>   Now thing become bigger, they will have to become better too.
>   The question is : how ? I say, set up a central mirror site.

that's my $0.02 also.

i realise there's a lot of work involved and the taking small
steps is the current approach, but if there's an opportunity to
influence the direction of those steps

o identifying the apache content

	- distribution files (source/binaries)   - should be on a mirror
	- static content (documentation/etc)	 - should be on a mirror
	- dynamic content (CGI, cvsweb)		 - should be on central

o putting in guidelines so that the content references are "mirror
  friendly".  e.g relative links so that when a mirror has replicated
  a tree, all the pointers don't point back to www.apache.org

o www.apache.org is run just like any other mirror site while the
  dynamic content lives on another (cgi.apache.org?) machine.

o getting ISO.apache.org setup (e.g au.apache.org, at.apache.org etc)
  like php.net or proftpd.org.

regards,

-jason