www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Heads up...
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:35:31 GMT
Just a heads-up to all of the mirror maintainers that we're starting
to see some adoption by the Jakarta and XML ASF projects into placing
their files in the apache-dist rsync module.  Previously, you may
have rsynced from jakarta-site or other modules.  We're going to try
to consolidate what we want our mirrors to offer under the
apache-dist module.  This should ease the configuration burden on
mirrors.  (As a point of policy, we're not going to want mirrors of
the actual websites for the forseeable future.)

Therefore, you may start to see some large rsync jobs coming your way
soon as each project moves their files over.  Furthermore, we're
going to be encouraging more use of the mirrors on our web sites.
This will take some time to complete the transition, but hopefully,
we're starting to see real progress.

Our goal is to offload as much of the download traffic as we can to
your sites.  If this is going to be a problem, let us know and we'll
remove you from our mirrors listing.  We realize that we haven't been
efficiently using our mirrors in the past, but we're going to be
asking more of your sites now.  Of course, we hope you will continue
to act as official ASF mirrors.  And, thanks for helping us out!

Also, I've been informed that there are some mirrors that are not
picking up these recent changes.  You should now have a ant directory
in your local mirror.  If you do not have that directory, please
check up on your rsync processes.  If you need further assistance,

Thanks!  -- justin