www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@reppep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2002 04:12:39 GMT
At 4:10 PM -0800 2002/11/27, Scott Kveton wrote:
>  > I wonder whether it would be worthwhile getting all mirrors if they
>>  don't have any objections disclosing what speed their mirror site has to
>>  the internet ?
>
>Oregon State University - Internet2 (basically 2 - OC3's)

	This raises the question of how informative vs. consistent
our mirror names will be. Geographic hints are often useful, so I can
find a NY mirror rather than Seattle or Florida. Internet 2 hints are
even more helpful -- Rockefeller has a shared 45mbps Internet 1 link,
but a private 155mbps Internet 2 uplink, so anything with I2 is much
faster for us. Mirror naming schemes that let people identify
I2-friendly university sites (like Red Hat's)
<http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html> make downloads much
faster than if I connect to a random host in the US via Internet 1,
as with FreeBSD
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html#MIRRORS-US>,

where there's no easy way to see what host is behind a name like
ftp10.FreeBSD.org.

	Ideally, I'd like support for both naming schemes. Provide a
mirror listing with the native 'local' hostname, like a) List
everything with the local hostname and let users figure it out, like
distro.ibiblio.org, and also create mirror RR DNS records, such as
us.apache.org & uk.apache.org, which we can point closer.cgi at, and
which could also be pruned/managed automagically if someone puts the
time in.

	This also raises the linked issue of how consistent we want
the directory structure to be. If someone says they're happy to put
our stuff in /open/servers/apache, rather than under a standardized
path, do we care?

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--