www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Haesu <ha...@towardex.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:46:24 GMT
You guys should look at the way www.kernel.org does the mirrors.

They have a unified DNS convention for all mirror operators, and they
welcome any new mirrors whether or not it's 10 or 100 mirrors in total.

Each mirror is given ftp and www.<mirror's preferred
handle>.lkams.kernel.org hostname pointing to their IP address.

I think we can do the same. Once we do, may be we should utilize a script
or something that's scheduled. The script would query all mirrors in the
DNS listing and do a GET /dist , etc to see if the mirror is up to date or
not.. Each mirror should be marked with 'points' where if the mirror is
not up to date, the script would hold a threshold of how many points the
out-of-date mirror will hit before getting delisted, or getting warned. If
a mirror is down.. same deal..

Just my idea.. :)

 --haesu