www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:06:15 GMT
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> As a mirror maintainer, I prefer having old releases.

i'll second this point.

> the kinds of mirrors we want. In other words: Fewer high-quality mirrors
> is better than many medium-quality mirrors. I'd rather see 10 official
> mirrors sync'ing everything than 100 mirrors doing partial sync'ing.

ditto.  having a huge number of mirrors is unfortunately only making the
management issue much more difficult and the cost/benefit analysis in
terms of efficiency actually starts falling at a certain point.  in
particular because

o the apache pages are not optimized to make best use of mirrors.  this
  is just going to need a lot of work because this only works well when
  setup this way from scratch.  no criticism implied of people who have
  set it up.

o lots of external places also just point directly at apache.org's
  download area anyway.

regards,