www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: mirroring jakarta?
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:08:19 GMT
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, David Coulthart wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.  I actually just discovered
> www.apache.org::jakarta-site/builds/ and figured that was the part of
> the side I actually _did_ want to mirror.  The request from our user was
> for faster access downloading the software, which I thought was exactly
> what jakarta-site/builds/ is.  Our user doesn't have much interest in
> building from source, just quicker access to the binaries.  What would
> the value be in mirroring all of jakarta-site?  I have the 6GB to spare
> on our mirror server for the builds (plus probably enough for all of
> jakarta-site if there's a reason), as long as apache doesn't mind us
> taking a bit of bandwidth to get it started.

the jakarta mirroring has been requested many times over the last
year or more.  i don't believe the current stuff is suitable to
mirror (though things may have changed since and i'm wrong) because

o there's no implementation for the jakarta site to point at mirrors

o the builds are redone, which means you will refetch 6Gb a lot more
  times.

regards,

-jason