www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Andrew Kenna" <andr...@stamina.com.au>
Subject RE: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:05:13 GMT
I wonder whether it would be worthwhile getting all mirrors if they
don't have any objections disclosing what speed their mirror site has to
the internet ?

If we can get some sort of indication as to whats out there then some
standards might be able to be implemented on minimum's etc

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: jason andrade [mailto:jason@dstc.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, 28 November 2002 10:39 AM
To: mirrors@apache.org
Cc: infrastructure@apache.org
Subject: Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Scott Kveton wrote:

> > 4 might be a bit small, but i guess there might be some policy
> > there.  in the US it might make sense to have 15 mirrors.  in
> > australia 6.  in Tibet, 2.  it would be a (clearly understood)
> > function of network and demand (number of internet users) in that
> > region.
>
> I think 4 is pretty arbitrary ... how do we keep the 4 best mirrors?
> I don't think you should have a million mirrors; keep it as several
> high-quality mirrors ... of course how do you make sure they are high
> quality?

just setup a table to start with with definitions and build on that as
time passes.  the US starts with 16, etc.

high quality is of course going to be subjective.  10Mbps is not seen as
high quality in the US but it certainly would be in Djibouti.  of course
this leads into also needing to have something similar to the qmail
check or the CPAN check - a file with a timestamp written into the
apache top level directory with a master process that checks to see how
up to date a mirror is.

i am pretty sure there is a CPAN person here (Bjorn?) who might be able
to say whether we could use the CPAN checking system for apache mirrors.

it is still a manual process i understand.  all the check does is let
the person (Jarkko?) know if mirrors are falling out of date and if he
gets 3 or 4 messages then he contacts the mirror admin directly about
it.

regards,

-jason