www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Thom May <t...@positive-internet.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:54:56 GMT
* Christopher Hicks (chicks@chicks.net) wrote :
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Haesu wrote:
>
> I think both of these are fine ideas.  We just need someone willing to
> step forward with an implementation.  :-)
>
> Everybody has expressed a lot of factors of what makes a good mirror, but
> if we combined those into a numerical "mirror quality quotient" and listed
> that information on the site it would naturally help people find the right
> mirror for them.  To start things off I propose:
>
> b + 48/r - a/4
>
> Where:
> - b is bandwidth in Mbps
> - r is how many hours between rsyncs
> - a is how many point releases your apache is behind

the first two parts are useful, the third is totally irrelevant. Will people
please get off the idea that (a) mirror maintainers have any control over
what services are running on their server, and (b) that it makes any odds at
all to the quality of the mirror.
As an example of this, www.openbsd.org runs on a solaris box, but that
doesn't seem to affect the mirror quality.
-Thom