www-mirrors mailing list archives

From James R Grinter <...@gbnet.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:21:21 GMT
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:17:29AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> then they are no longer mirrors.  if people are providing binaries they should
> be submitting them to the official site where it then propagates out to all
> the other mirrors.

I think this meant "installing their own apache from source rather
than vendor binaries", not building the binary packages!

But if everything is PGP signed, then the integrity of the mirror
and what it serves is secondary (and merely annoying if it breaks).
As long as we encourage people to check them, of course.

The idea of having an umbrealla DNS is ok (though it requires some extra
handling of VirtualHost issues at the mirrors).  It could be incorporated
into a method of automatically checking mirrors and dropping them out
of the rotation if they appear to go stale, until they commence working
again.

James.