www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Scott Kveton <kve...@oregonstate.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: site/xdocs/dev mirrors.xml
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:41:42 GMT
> D) I'm sure there are some other ideas, but these are some of the things
> I thought I'd throw into the discussion

Another couple of things come to mind ... how can we route traffic to
these mirrors in a better fasion?  How can you assure the "quality" of
the mirrors?

One thought for routing traffic is to do it via DNS (like kernel.org or
gentoo.org).  Have something like:

http://www.us.apache.org (etc for each country)
or
http://download.us.apache.org

Then reference these from the website.  Apache manages the DNS so you
can add/remove mirrors at a whim.

As for the quality, why not write a little script that checks to make
sure its up to date?  Put a time-stamp in the primary mirror and have it
propogated out to all of the nodes ... your script goes looking for
those hosts that have the "right" timestamp; if the timestamp gets too
old, send some mail to the admin and then remove them from DNS.

Scott :-)