www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: Mirror reorganization
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:44:09 GMT
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:53:33 -0700
> From: Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org>
> To: "mirrors@apache.org" <mirrors@apache.org>
> Cc: "infrastructure@apache.org" <infrastructure@apache.org>
> Subject: Mirror reorganization

> Just to reiterate how much of a problem I think this is, last night
> in just the httpd-site directory, my mirror downloaded around 250MB
> of data, merely because the older binary distributions were moved to
> a new directory. This negates much of the efficiency of rsync.
>
> Therefore I propose that we restructure the directory layout to avoid the
> need to move files once they are on the site, use web pages to provide
> the proper amount of browsability and indirection, and at the same time
> come up with a structure that allows for efficient load-balancing to
> the mirrors:

Hi,

  your problem and fine proposal assume that mirrors carry
  the 'historical' stuff. If mirrors only carried the 'current'
  stuff the problem would go away, and some maintenance would
  become less critical (the index.html's you propose are great,
  but leave ftp users 'in the cold').

  As I said earlier, there are reasons for the mirrors NOT to carry
  the 'historical' stuff : 1) confusing and 2) nobody uses them.

  So, isn't it wise to FIRST decide if mirrors should carry
  the old stuff, at all ? I'm against it, but I'm flexible :-).

> -aaron

  regards.

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: 2513791, NIC-handle: HPP1 _/  \__/  \
News.answers http://www.cs.uu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais     \__/  \__/  \__/